Sunday, February 18, 2007

A case of the crazies

When life starts crashing in around me, I tend to slink away. When I don't get away, and create time for myself, then I really start to feel like I'm going crazy. Well, I've felt on the brink, as it were, for a couple of weeks now, and have been trying to ignore it in hopes that the feeling would go away. Funny how that never seems to work. I guess that part of the problem is that I don't want to burden those around me with all the crapola swirling around in my head, so it just stays in there. And I am struggling with a lot right now. And most of it is hard to put into words. And I know that given a little more time, I will wrestle it to the ground and win over the crazies. In the meantime, today I got one step closer to winning the battle.

I made it out to Kickapoo State Park to go hiking. I suppose that I'm not the brightest bulb on the string because, while I knew that there would be tons of beautiful snow, I didn't really consider that the 14" of snow (plus drifting) that we got here, would also be the case at the park. (duh.) The smart people wore cross country skis. I was the only human foot tracks in the forest. On the plus side, that means that I had plenty of time to myself. The air was cold and brisk, the sun was shining, and there was glorious silence. There was also laughter from the sledders, snippets of conversations from the cross country skiers, birds calling out from overhead, and the sweet sound of my hiking boots sinking down so far into the snow that I was covered in the white stuff up to my knees. So now I'm thinking that next time I go out on a day like this, I might tie tennis rackets to my boots. Or rent snow shoes. Whatever.

No comments: